Friday, August 05, 2005

ISP's suck!!

Looks like I'm off broadband for about a month now and stuck on pay as you go.

First I wanted to migrate from Wanadoo to AOL because Wanadoo was sending me letters andout my usage, that was nearly 3 months ago, nothing was happening, I phoned them, told them about it, still nothing until they told me to wait until my wanadoo account has closed, well it closed yesterday so I phoned up AOL and they said that it would take upto 10 working days for BT to disonnect my BB line unless Wanadoo give me a MAC code. Phoned up wanadoo and they said they don't give MAC codes to closed accounts. So basically I will have to wait for 10 working days for the line to be disconnected, then order a new ISP which will then take at least 10 working days to be reconnected.

A word of advice for those who don't have BB yet, make sure you get yourself a good ISP because changing ISP is complete and utter bitch and migration does not work.

I looked at this site http://www.freedomlist.com/ and got me self a decent dial up for 1p a minute on evenings and week ends at local rates.
The one I got is this http://www.1-2-free.co.uk/ which has connected me at 48KBS which is a better rate then I had on 56K wanadoo and BT.

Anyway I'm on holiday next week :D

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Shade :(

You have to be careful with these jokers at call centres - you tend to find that they don't have your best interests at heart...

I've heard some *REAL* nightmares about migration, so consider yourself lucky - it could have been a lot, lot worse!

The irony is that they'll probably be hounding you to re-join their ISP again in several weeks time LOL

In the meantime - be strong! Don't think of it as losing a high speed always-on connection; think of it more like a nostalgic trip back to the 'good old days' with BBS, Doom Deathmatches and ASCII....

....On second thoughts....

3:33 am  
Blogger shinshade said...

lol, well I phoned AOL again and I actually got an english person who gave me some straight answers, so now a Broadband order has gone through, I got the e-mail to say that it has gone through and I'm on anytime until it happens. Better then nothing

11:40 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed it is - though why you chose AOL is beyond me ;)

If it makes you feel any better, my '7 to 14 day' Amazon order hasn't been sent yet - it's been over three weeks now...

11:11 pm  
Blogger shinshade said...

haven't used amazon for years, they mess around with delivery times to much for my liking, give them a ring and unleash your fury.

7:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bah! They've just sent me an email saying they've had problems getting the stock in and delivery will now take another "1 to 2 Weeks"!

It's made me sooooo angry, 'cause I've since seen identical items sold elsewhere which are in-stock and available for 24 hour delivery!!!

6:25 pm  
Blogger shinshade said...

Then cancel it.

9:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...because I'm sick of having to go to different stores and spend half an hour performing their sign up process, just to buy a single product and then put up with receiving endless newsletters and special offers via email all the f***king time!

Anyway, the order is still £10 cheaper through Amazon because of free postage and money-off discounts, so I s'pose I shouldn't complain really!

If it's not here by the beginning of September then I *will* cancel it!

9:01 pm  
Blogger shinshade said...

lol your are being very patient.

11:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find that it works better than screaming ....... sometimes ......

3:57 am  
Blogger shinshade said...

Screaming is great you get there attention then. Zelda delayed til 2006 :(

9:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's not Nintendo's only problem - have you seen the price point of the GB:Micro yet £70!!!!!!

That *MUST* be a bad joke!

11:11 am  
Blogger shinshade said...

Well that was interesting, agreed £70 is too much DS is only £30 more, I was thinging that £50 would be a decent price. X-box 360 from £209 is pretty good.

9:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God! Can't you erase that moron's comment? It's bad enough that my inbox looks like that in the morning!

Anywhoo - Yeah, I was thinking that £50 dead on would have been ideal; by pricing it at £50 rather than £49.99 would have given it a sense of style - IE buying this designer product is unlike buying any other (that all end with 99p). But that's just me for ya'

The £209 price point isn't too bad, but it's more a blind-sighted gesture: everyone knows to be able to play the thing properly will require the £299 model, with early reports on some forums suggesting crazy pre-order ratios of 3:1 in the states (£299 package to £209 package)...

9:27 pm  
Blogger shinshade said...

Its gone, perhaps if Nintendo put Play Yan with the Micro it would be more worth while, I suppose your right about the xBox 360 but can you see the PS3 selling at £209? I can't. I got BB back I will make a post tommorow.

10:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home