Friday, May 27, 2005

NFSU 2 DS and Stuff!

Been really busy the last few weeks which is the reson for the lack of updates, this week me and a friend have decorated my flat then I helped him move in to his new house. This week I got the GBA media player and have been giving it a good testing, more of that in the next update.

Do your Boobs Hang Low? A cassic flash.
Barb Wire Skipping Game A lot of Fun.


Need For Speed Underground 2- Nintendo DS
A few weeks back I looked at my handheld collection and noticed that I was missing a car racing game, racing games are not my favourite types of games but Sometimes I do feel like playing one. As I have a DS, I choose DS as the format, I purchased Ridge Racer DS, it was fun for a while but the bugs in this conversion from the N64 showed in the collision detection and in the handling as DS uses a D-pad, so next on the my list to try was NFSU 2 on DS.
The developers are Pocketeers who are famous for making many impressive GBA graphic engines and they made NFSU 2 on GBA which I have played and it is pretty darn good.
I've had the game for over a week now and its pretty impressive, graphics are decent cars look good, scenery looks good and it's moving at 60 fps! Not even Rivals on the PSP ran at that frame rate, the only let down graphics wise is that the road textures are low res.
Handling has been fine tuned for the DS D-Pad and responsive enough.
Gameplay consits of a Quick Race mode and Go Underground Mode. In the go underground mode you have four options. First is circuit which has three levels of difficulty, circuit has three race types Time Trial where you have to complete the track before the timer runs out, Lap KO where you race against three other players and the last place will get knocked out in the end of each lap and Finally normal race where you race against three other players. Second Underground option is Drag race which is like dray in the other NFSU games. Third is Own the Zone where the course is split up into four parts and you have to get the best time in three off the zones to win. Fourth underground mode is Bonus Event which are sub games. The game is good length, there are 12 Circuits and 16 drag courses, the game is very rewarding and in most races you will get a new engine part of decoration for your car. The touch screen is used as a map, in own the zone it shows who own which zone and what time to beat.
The music is decent and quality is good but the soundtrack in the console versions is not here, in fact they are remixed better quality tunes that were in the GBA version, this is a shame considering Star Wars Ep III had the full on Star Wars soundtrack, they could have at least put a few tracks in. The free roaming city is not here which I suppose is a bit too much to ask as it’s a first gen game for the DS but the game has the same structure as the GBA version. Pocketeers did not even attempt to change the structure, they could have had the map on the touch screen and you could select where you wanted to go, in fact the rather enjoyable Drift mode from the GBA version is left out, this all does let the game down a bit.
If you want a decent car racing game for your DS then get this, it’ll do you good until something else comes out. Its fun, challenging and fast.
Rating- 7 out of 10

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

New flat? That sounds like fun = more information for us nosey beggars please - are you sure that you aren't sharing with 12 other people with camera's watching you 24 hours a day on Channel 4?

I purchased Pac Pix the other day - fairly good, although I don't know if it really provides enough of a lasting challenge...

Love today's picture - LOL

12:10 am  
Blogger shinshade said...

Don't worry I'm not sharing a house with a few gays and a few freaks although I did have a dream that I was.
What chapter are you on with Pac Pix?

7:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't laugh, but I'm only upto Chapter 8: haven't had more than about an hour to play it though, because of these stupid exam/essays that I've had to do. I might play a bit more this weekend, but it doesn't look hopeful - already had to reject an offer to go to B'ham this afternoon because of them :(

3:41 pm  
Blogger shinshade said...

When are you gonna be done with ya essays?

8:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exams and essays come to an end on the 7th June - believe me when I say that I simply can't wait!

2:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home